Tuesday 22 May 2012

First Post!

Welcome to Chowin Down!

After multiple comments and postings on YouTube videos, I decided I should start a blog so that I can share my opinions without annoying video posters with too many responses to other comments. Here we go!


In Which I Confront My Own Beliefs Concerning Feminism


I watch my fair share of YouTube videos, but one video caught my eye. It was a woman who claimed to be an "anti-Feminist". This confused me. How can a woman with a YouTube channel, who shares her thoughts, talents, and beliefs and values be against Femenism? I desperately wanted to write back to this woman, and this made me consider my own definition about Feminism. What is Feminism?

My first thought was that I can't narrow down my personal definition and include others'; it would have to be tailored to my beliefs (as all 'isms are). I know I don't believe that women or men are more valuable than the other. I believe that men and women complement each other in terms of physical functions (men generally being predisposed to more muscles, and women being predisposed to deliver babies). However, these attributes (and others) that make our genders - and any new cross or mixed gender - do not achieve higher status than others. It was this strong belief that led me to my current understanding of what Feminism is to me: my Feminism is solely about equality.

I am reading The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan, and my eye was caught by one of the most obvious statements: early feminists of the 1920s were looking up to men as role models when they were beginning their fight for women's rights. These women would look at the outside world that men were involved in and say, "I want to be a part of that" NOT "I want that to be MY world, run by MY rules". Early feminists called attention to the fact that women think just as much as men do about the world. When the War was happening, women were employed in factories, doing what was usually considered "men's work". They were employed with the army as nurses and aides. I've heard about one woman who dressed as a man and drove a delivery truck during the war. Women were not concerned with "stealing" men's jobs, they were concerned with the War effort. I can definitely believe the first taste of contributing to society would be addicting.
These early feminists are my role models. They were fighting for rights to speak in public, the right to education, the right to work. They were not fighting against men, just for the barriers that prevented them from sharing their views as human beings. I strongly believe that our connection as human beings comes before gender. I believe that the goal of Feminism is to make itself obsolete. When Feminism no longer exists, when women no longer feel the need to fight for equality, that is when we will have all recognized our human-ness.

When I look back on the video this woman posted, and the comments that offended me as a woman and a feminist, I have to pause and give silent congratulations to these early freedom fighters. This woman would not be on YouTube, speaking to a large public, sharing her personal views, if not for women like Lucy Stone, Sojourner Truth, and Louisa May Alcott. Although she may not know it, this woman is building on the foundation of these pioneer Feminists. She is advocating for her right to speak as a woman, to women.

My Feminist beliefs do not seek to alienate or target men as bad people. I value men as a counter-part to our society and respect those who contribute to keeping the core values of Feminism alive. In fact, I respect anyone, of any sex, who stands up for Feminist beliefs.

To those who seriously oppose Feminism, I suggest you do your research into its history, founders, struggles, and the key values it supports. Equality is the love boat we can all get on; no matter our "ism".

No comments:

Post a Comment