Saturday 30 March 2013

The Conch

(courtesy of http://rateeveryanimal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/conch.jpg)

They say if you put your ear to a conch you can hear the ocean.
They say you hear waves ebbing and flowing,
Back and forth,
And you can imagine lazing in paradise,
with the sun beating down on your face.

But when I listen closely,
Beyond the waves,
Beyond picturing warm sand between my toes,
and the distant cry of strange birds,
I hear your voice.

I hear you say,
"Come with me.
Come with me on the strangest, darkest,
Most amazing adventure you've had in your life.
Come with me on a daring, dazzling
journey that will challenge you in ways you've never known.
Come with me on the calmest, gentlest
stroll you will ever know.
Come with me", I hear you say.

I wish I could call back into the conch.
I wish I could say,
"I will leap with you
Into the canyon, the abyss, knowing we are falling together.
I will run with you
Laughing even though there are wild dogs chasing after us.
I will carry you
When you are hurt and need my arms.
I will", I want to say.

So I whisper the three words I mean most into the conch,
And lay it down in a bed of cool sand,
So that when the next person listens,
Maybe they will hear the words they've always wanted to hear,
And maybe they will say the things they've always wanted to say.
And maybe they will love more than I have ever loved.
And their world will be brighter and lighter
and full of the things I wish I could give you.

No comments:

Post a Comment